Matti and the Lion

In the autumn of 2005, I quit my job at a large game studio in Stockholm, to move back to Gothenburg on the west coast of Sweden to my family, (had been commuting for a year). Finding myself in between jobs I restarted my drawing, my first project was to be a competition for a new strip for the largest free newspaper in Sweden. Matti and the Lion, a comic I'd done for my girlfriend (now wife) was the basis of the strip. I've translated two of the strips into some kind of English, find it hard to translate this type of stuff in to English. The strip failed to win anything but at least it started my drawing. (click to enlarge) And at last my blogging, now I work for a game studio again so my career as a comic writer was a short one.

10 comments:

  1. My husband sees the video like Matti! I see the on/off switch! Such a shame that you didn't win the competition, what were they thinking?! (Maybe the Y-fronts were too sexy?)Would you still like to be a comic strip writer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Oops, that should read the lion not Matti!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How unstereotype of you! Don't know if I would like to be a comic strip writer, but I'd like to be able to draw more, for a living that is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And had I won I might not have started blogging, so every cloud has a silver lining

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:40 AM

    so working for a video game company means you don;t get to draw much?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You get to draw a lot if you're a concept artist, (not really my thing), I work with 3d modelling and scripting etc etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. eautiful strip mattias, i saw it on ur website a while ago but might as well had been written in Aramaic cuz i didnt understand a thing :P ..and now that i get it (big slap in the forehead) i think its brilliant

    what part of the games u develop?? 3d ? or concept art?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to love videogames, back when they didn't use to all look like a Vin Diesel movie. There should be a game that looked like your drawings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous3:42 AM

    Yo, Matias! It's "El Pez"
    I just gotta let you know
    that you are really an inspiration.
    The way you draw vehicles and
    buildings is just amazing.
    They look so alive and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks all, now a day I work with racing games as a senior artist, (3d racing games need little concept work). I made a game back in 1997 based on my stories and drawings called Kosmopolska.

    ReplyDelete